Disclaimer: I have only tried to assemble unbiased information about the murder of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi and his assassin Nathuram Godse. I am not following the latest “trend” of hating Gandhi nor do I reverence Gandhism. I do not support Nathuram Godse's ideology nor do I intend to belittle Gandhi or his theories.
“There was a distracting din in my head. I am here. I did it. I didn’t want the world to think that Gandhi was killed by a madman.
Let the rest go free, I am the One.”
-Nathuram Vinayak Godse
To most, he is a ‘sirphira’ who assassinated the greatest man in the history of
Vinayakrao and his wife had three sons, none of whom survived. They prayed to God, had their fourth son, Nathuram. Nathuram survived because they were destined to suffer for their young son's death and Gandhi was destined to be assassinated.
The British had followed a divide-and-rule policy in
The social reformer and educator, Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, who founded
The partition of
There is a book written by a Pakistani writer named ‘Gandhi and the Partition of India’. The writer Kamran Shahid says “I believe that Gandhi's role as a political force was overlooked by many historians. Had Gandhi sincerely exercised his absolute moral and political authority, which he held about millions of Indians, the Congress and the Hindus,
Not only does a Pakistani writer share the opinion of Godse, even the great Indian freedom fighter Bhagat Singh also grew to detest Gandhism. As a young lad, Bhagat Singh actively took part in the non-cooperation movement and was an admirer of Mahatma Gandhi. He vehemently believed that
Pradeep Dalvi's controversial play ‘Mi Nathuram Godse Boltoy’ was first staged in 1989, when the playwright was denied permission by the
- “I never stole in my childhood, so there was no question of apologizing to my father. I never took a vow of celibacy as I was already practicing celibacy. I was moving around the refugee camps and helping the destitute with food and clothes. But I did not wander half-naked because the refugees were naked. I never spun yarn, never cleaned my toilet, never observed silence till I was hanged. There was only one common factor in Gandhi's life and mine. We were both the cause of each other's death. He wanted to live for his principles and I was prepared to die for my principles.”
- The central government had taken a decision -
will not be given Rs.55 crores. On January 13 Gandhi started a fast unto death that Pakistan must be given the money. On January 13, the central government changed its earlier decision and announced that Pakistan would be given the amount. On January 13, I decided to assassinate Gandhi. Pakistan
- There was no need for a separate nation. Had it been a just demand, Maulana Azad would not have stayed back in
. But because Jinnah insisted and because Gandhi took his side, India was divided, in spite of opposition from the nation, the Cabinet. An individual is never greater than a nation. But Gandhi has dared considering himself greater than the nation. India
- A poor Hindu told Gandhi, 'I am putting down my weapons because I don't want your death on my conscience but I am staying alone with my family in the Muslim area. That night, before leaving
I visited his home. The whole household was screaming, weeping, his only eight-year-old son had been killed by the Muslims. He had no weapon to defend himself. He threw his son's body on my lap and said, "Take his blood to your Mahatma. Tell him, if he goes on fast again, he can finish it by drinking not orange-juice but my son's blood." I could not say anything. Gandhi was the Father of my Nation. For a moment, I was tempted to pull out the Muslims from their homes and chop them down. But I controlled myself. Violence for self-defense is justified; otherwise it is an ill-cultured act. I returned to where Gandhi was staying but he had already left by car. Of course, there would have been no point in meeting him... he would only have prayed for both the killer and the victim. Hyderabad
- His theory of non-violence denies self-defense and self-interest. The non-violence that defines the fight for survival as violence is a theory not of non-violence but of self-destruction.
This assassination was different. It was not planned by a political party or a terrorist group to gain power. It was decided by a sane man who ardently believed that Gandhi’s diplomacy will further chop the country into more
Together, the band swears to honor the killer's last wish: "May my ashes be immersed into the river
More links on the topic: