Sunday, April 11, 2010

Why life at NSIT sucks…




NSIT- probably anyone would kill to be here. The toppers of Delhi come here, many of them abnegating a seat in the IIT. People look at me in awe when I say I am an NSITian. “I am doing Computer Engineering from NSIT”, as I say these words, the time seems to stop, the birds stop chirping…the cars screech to a halt… a sudden silence descends upon the chatter of people around…and the next words I hear are “Oh wow…NSIT?!!”.

Only I know how ‘wow’ that is. Let’s skip talking about the callous government officials who make it impossible for you to get any ‘official’ work done. Let’s also skip the professors/lecturers who have done their PHDs and long forgotten what they did (or at least it’s so horrific to them, they don’t want to talk about it anymore!) and hardly come to the classes to give lectures. If they do, most of them don’t teach up to the standards one would expect of NSIT faculty. The most capable ones are too cocooned in their own smug achievements and generate a random lecture to pass their time unconcerned about what the students already know and what they do not have to know! Let’s also skip the rickety laboratories with their damaged equipment. Let’s skip all other lack of facilities that make NSIT a sorry place to be. What I am talking about here is the obsolete mind-sets of the majority of undergrads here. I have (sorry to say) found the most derogatory quality of people here in NSIT quite opposite to what I expected. Intellectuals? Hah! Most of them have come here mugging up the methods to do the predictable and repeated questions asked in CEE. I am so badly repenting letting go of that seat I was getting in IIT.

Let me come to the point of writing this whole ‘hate-blog-post’. OK. I get along with guys better. I hate to gossip about the pretty lady dating that bad-but-hot guy, I hate to restrain my laugh unlike ‘good-and-decent’ girls are supposed to, I hate to even try to change my walk and make it more girly I hate to cry in front of others and I hate to get touchy about small matters. I am what I am and I am NOT scared to show the real me unlike so many around me who take the safe shelter of make-believe and white-lies to hide their true selves lest others should reject them. The same goes for my relationships. If I am good friends with someone (a guy), I don’t make funny stories as excuses to go and meet him in private so that people don’t talk about us. If I want to talk to someone, I do, not caring people watching us. I perfectly understand that so many people in my college think I am going around with this guy I hang out with so much. But I am not so foolish that I give up spending quality time with him to shut them up. Their tongues would anyway wag because they love to gossip and nothing can stop them. People I have zero concern with have talked about me and when I come to know this I cannot contain my laughter mixed with pity for their microscopic minds, let alone narrow ones.

I know my friends who have been talked about just because they were seen with a guy around NESCCI. Even if it was for once, the ever ready gossip mongers of NSIT make sure every person in their circle knows what they have seen. They make it Probably since they could not be the guy themselves (or the girl themselves) and the rumour starts with the spark of this envy. Whatever it is, don’t they have better things to do? I just have this to say to those who have ever talked about me and him behind my back:

“Get a life!!”

19 comments:

aanchal said...

awesmm .....u said it ol ....whoaaa!!m v.glad yaar.....keep up d gud job....tooo gud yaar.....its ol so truee ....v.true....:):)...gr888 wrk..

ajish said...

gud 1 !...if any1 does talk behind ur back they r jus jealous tht they don get to b tht guy!!..ur awesom the way u r!!

Sameep Arora said...

"I am so badly repenting letting go of that seat I was getting in IIT."

Similar thoughts (not for the seat in IIT of course, but for the other options I had) flood my mind, whenever people say,"Ohh! So you are an IITian. Wow!"

And I ask myself..."Wow? Really?"

And now after reading your post I am thinking that rightly has it been said about the grass on the other side.

codeghost007 said...

it's true bt still we can't get far from it
awesome article !!!!

Hemant Goyal said...

so you hate the gossip?

you feel its nsitians who gossip? just for that reason you get angry with the whole college?

you'll find gossipers in the best and worst of places (IIT would be no exception). Learn to deal with them (read ignore) and move on with your life.

Dont bash nsit for what is after all a human fault. You'll realize the value of NSIT after you pass out from this place. Its truly a remarkable place, despite all the nasty sad things about it (about which i completely agree with you)

shubham shukla said...

Very well written... n before reading your post I read the very first line of your blog saying -
"I have this funny habit of over-analysing things......"
N you have contradicted it .. :) U have analysed it to perfection.
World is for all,let the people wag their tongues ... few are meant solely for that purpose.
You do what you really love to do, thats very important.

rj said...

Yaar the point if NSITians have a lot wella tym all thnx to rickety labs, ignorant lecturers and hopeless admin so wht they do is gossip, gossip nd gossip...
They are jus meant to b ignored, Its your life "Love It and Live It"

Perx said...

well, seems like high school all over again..

Manee said...

@Perx
Most NSITians experience delayed "high-school-life-crisis".

Archa said...

I dont totally agree with you. If you have that many problems, why didnt you try for IIT the next year after entering nsit. Also, just by being an arm chair critic doesnt solve any problem. Become the change you want to see.

When you will leave this college, you will realise the brand-name/ time for extra-curriculars etc this college gives.

If you think that getting marks in NSIT is a matter of how much one can mug, you are mistaken. It is based a lot on numericals. Can someone mug up numericals? Just because you cant score doesnt mean, you make an excuse for it. Scores in NSIT are based a lot on the intelligence also. Everybody studies for almost the same time(burning the midnight oil), yet some students end up getting less marks. Marks are also an indicator of your expression power, how well you can explain your theory(whatever little comes in papers)...

There are some problems in NSIT. But they are too small in comparison to the goodness in the college. That is the reason why, year after year, our college placements, and people going for MBA/MS is increasing.

Feel lucky to be part of this brand name. Dont spread worng rumours about college.

Archa said...

I dont totally agree with you. If you have that many problems, why didnt you try for IIT the next year after entering nsit. Also, just by being an arm chair critic doesnt solve any problem. Become the change you want to see.

When you will leave this college, you will realise the brand-name/ time for extra-curriculars etc this college gives.

If you think that getting marks in NSIT is a matter of how much one can mug, you are mistaken. It is based a lot on numericals. Can someone mug up numericals? Just because you cant score doesnt mean, you make an excuse for it. Scores in NSIT are based a lot on the intelligence also. Everybody studies for almost the same time(burning the midnight oil), yet some students end up getting less marks. Marks are also an indicator of your expression power, how well you can explain your theory(whatever little comes in papers)...

There are some problems in NSIT. But they are too small in comparison to the goodness in the college. That is the reason why, year after year, our college placements, and people going for MBA/MS is increasing.

Feel lucky to be part of this brand name. Dont spread worng rumours about college.

Manee said...

@Archa

It is pretty understandable you misinterpreted me as a single blog entry cannot be the basis of judgement of a person.

First thing: My main problem with NSIT was and still remains is the attitude of the people around here. I do not know how your experience was but atleast it was not up to the mark for me. And about you suggesting me going to IIT, the social behaviour part is going to be worse there according to my calculations.
Yes you can call me whatever you presume I am, but I simply HATE this behaviour of NSITians. I really do - its an honest confession.

About getting marks...again you are mistaken, I got third rank in class this semester result so I am NOT indulging in "Grapes are sour" ideology here- simply because I don't need to.

Yes, in bits and part I did get marks due to my intelligence but I also know that the marks distribution of our class had a HUGE luck factor.
And trust me, picking up a book understanding an established concept, practicing numericals based on the theory, presenting all this well in the paper - All this, to me at least, is NOT THAT big a deal. I am human and I am capable of scoring as much as I want to with dedication and hard work. That is if the system lets me.

I firmly believe you haven't been there and done that. So probably you will not understand what I mean.
NSIT is a nice place to be, better than those local engineering colleges mushrooming up everyday ...but it doesn't meet my expectations.

I am sorry to have disagreed. And I sincerely wish it was otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I like the way you think.

Anonymous said...

If you really don't give a shit about what people think about you, why are you writing a whole friggin' blog on it?

Manee said...

@anonymous

If u don't give a shit about what I think why dya bother to come and read my posts?

PS: I am not advertising my blog...but making it available to those who are interested in reading it. I may get a few crappy critical comments from the people of your ilk, but there are many people who love to read what I write.
So. Get. The. Fuck. Off.

Anonymous said...

man u are good. Marry me :)

Manee said...

@the second anonymous

Well, for a start, how about telling me your identity ?

ansari said...

i googled hate nsit and found your post. You are a very good writer who just pours her heart out and the post is also very well written. Each and every word of this post speaks the true story at nsit behind the glimmering brand name nsit. Life at nsit truly sucks, or is it my life which sucks , i dont know. . ... I am having a hard time here. . I hate coming to college from my home just to hear that the classes have been cancelled. huh m so frustrated.......

Anonymous said...

Hi, I m a girl nd I wanted to know what is girl 2 boys ratio in NSIT delhi? Want to know if girls go in NSIT or not.